Thursday, September 2, 2010

Morning Bell: Do You Wish You Could Choose Your Child’s Teacher? | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News.

The beginning of each new school year is an emotional, stressful, and chaotic time in our home. As a Mom, just getting a "feel" for each of the teachers, their expectations, and coordinating all of the kids' schedules, is overwhelming to me. Not to mention that fact that I now have "middle schoolers", who have different teachers for different subjects. If it's hard on me, its got to be even harder on my kids.
We had tears last night because my daughter took the wrong folder to class. The teacher refused to allow her to get the correct one from her locker...the one with her assignment in it. Thus, she earned a big fat 0. Ironically, this was my son's favorite teacher last year. Kind of makes one wonder if the teacher favors boys over girls, or is just setting the tone for the rest of the year. I can only hope it is the latter. I have no control over the situation, and just have to sit back and wait to see how things pan out.
I hate it. I am the Mom. It is difficult for me to entrust my children's learning and well-being to virtual strangers at the beginning of every school year. I allow the school to have the privelage of my children to teach. But, I realize that I really don't have to. I don't have to send them to public school. I could send them to a private institution, or even homeschool. However, up to this point, the positives have outweighed the negatives. Plus, I have to honestly say that there are some absolutely wonderful and dedicated teachers and administrators, that have listened to me as a parent, and have even taken action when needed. I am blessed to know them. But, even more, my children are blessed to have them in their lives, looking out for their best interests. Not just because it is their job, but because they actually care and want my children...all children...to succeed in life.
In my opinion, we need more of them. Enough of the teachers just punching time cards, waiting for their summer break. Enough of the teachers who do just enough to just get by. Enough of the teachers who refuse to go above and beyond the call of duty, if it means inconveniencing them and their lesson plan for the day. And enough of the government controlling what the teachers teach every day...leaving no room for creativity and deviation from the state mandated curriculum. Enough, enough, enough! My children, all children, deserve better...they deserve the BEST! And, if the teachers don't want to give their best, then they should stay home and let someone else, who is enthusiastic, motivated, and dedicated to teaching, with an actual LOVE for CHILDREN, earn the taxpayers money. I'm just sayin'.
Wow, where did all of that come from? All of that just to introduce the following article. Oh well, happy reading!


Morning Bell: Do You Wish You Could Choose Your Child’s Teacher? | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.











Followers