Friday, March 19, 2010

What's Mine is Mine

What's mine is mine, what's yours is yours, and I don't have to share!

That's right, I said it! Should I share? Maybe. But, that should be up to me based on my values, beliefs, and what is impressed on my heart. If I choose to give to a person, family, purpose, situation, cause, or program, then I will. And, when I do, that is called charity.

When the government forces me to give my money to support causes and programs it deems appropriate, that is called social justice. If I do not believe in a cause, do not wish to support a program, or if I am even morally opposed to one, I am still forced to support it with my tax dollars. There is no freedom. There is no liberty. There is no choice.

If you ask me, social justice takes humanity out of the equation. When the freedom and ability to give what is on my heart is taken from me, does it not rob me of an extremely precious gift? How good does it feel when I see a need and give openly and freely of my own accord? It feels wonderful! Why? Because God placed the ability in me to empathize, give, and help others in need. He put it into each one of us. It is how we are made. We are created by and made in His image. We are compassionate and charitable by nature.

However, when that desire to help is demanded, and even exploited, it robs me of my nature...my human spirit. Charity, that priceless and precious gift, is stolen from me. Not only am I robbed, but I am shamed for not feeling a call to help in the government deemed arenas. When charity morphs into something so totally unnatural, it becomes social justice.

I believe that many people support social justice because they feel it is a "good" thing to do. Afterall, helping others is good. The word "justice" has positive connotations. Plus, people want to think they are "just". So, all in all, their intentions are "good."

I have an idea to satisfy the discrepency between those who believe in social justice and those who choose to live a charitable life without government interference. Those wishing to support government mandated causes and programs, also known as social justice, would make a notation on their tax return. It would read, "I will support any and all social justice causes that the government deems appropriate." (The concept would be similar to choosing to be an organ donor on a driver's license). This would allow the government to make the decisions for them, while still feeling good about themselves for helping others.

Those who prefer to decide who, what, when, where, and why they help others, would make a notation stating, "I believe in charity and will give of my own freewill, and on my own accord, when the opportunity arises, based on the dictates of my conscience and heart."

Both supporters of charity, and supporters of social justice, will be able to make their choice. Afterall, isn't freedom of choice a huge component of social justice?

While the government continues to take from it's citizens, reducing the amount of resources we have to give elsewhere, I do believe that true charity will never die. No matter how little we have left, after supporting social justice programs, we will still find ways to help others in need. We can't help it, it is in our nature. And, that is really the true heart of the matter.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN and AMEN! I so agree with you Danette! I love your blog. You are such a beautiful woman inside and out. I am proud to know you.

    ReplyDelete

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.











Followers